Monday, September 22, 2008

Atom-smash: end of world?

Atom-smash: end of world?

Scientists in Switzerland have been playing with a huge atom-smashing machine in order to explore the secrets of the universe and ultimately recreate a small-scale "Big Bang," which gave birth to the universe 13.7 billion years ago.

Sure, finding out how matter has mass and firing protons at near-speed of light velocities is fun and interesting, but the machine also could potentially open up tiny black holes and suck our entire planet into oblivion.

I sometimes have to sit and regain my composure when I think about this possibility. Who in their right mind gave these guys permission to potentially perform a global magic trick and say, "Presto! No more Earth!"?

I don't know about anyone else, but even as bad as things are in the world right now, I'm pretty comfortable simply existing. I could do without being sucked into a black hole.

I mean, really? A black hole?

No comments: